Events in August 1941
Today, we are taking you back to Aug. 15, 1941. The world and the United States were concerned about the war that was raging in Europe. Would the United States be able to maintain a policy of neutrality? National defense now became a concern. American Legion posts joined the Interceptor Command located at Mitchel Field in New York to improve our air defense.
Steps were taken to set up observation interceptor stations to check on aircraft. It was agreed that an observation post would be set up somewhere between Bath and Northampton. Tryouts for volunteers were held at the Fred A. Snyder Legion post in Northampton. Howard Luckenbach was appointed as chief observer, along with Dr. George Eichler, superintendent of Northampton schools, Earle Bachman and Ed Michael.
Do my older readers recall when the observation building was on the present RCN site on the Northampton-Bath Highway in East Allen Township? It was manned by aircraft observers during the war. After the war, the building was moved and became a residence on Dewey Avenue. In 2015, the old observation post was demolished. Few residents realized the home was part of the defense effort in World War II.
In 1941, the Coplay Booster Club led a drive for a public library in Coplay. Mr. Alvin Rodgers, president of Coplay High School Alumni Association, stated steps had been already taken to form a library. He spoke at a meeting held in the Eagle Hotel in Coplay.
Rodgers said, “The support of all citizens of the town, especially business and professional men, was essential to make the project a permanent success.”
This was the dream that became a reality and laid the foundation for today’s library.
The Coplay Ritz featured two films on Aug. 15-16: “Out of the Fog” with Ida Lupino and John Garfield and “They Met in Bombay” with Clark Gable and Rosalind Russell.
At the Roxy, it was “Moon Over Miami” with Don Ameche and Betty Grable.
Regal & Blum, next to the Roxy, was offering 14K yellow gold rings for $24.75 — or pay only 50 cents a week, and you could wear a beautiful ring.
The Georgian Restaurant on Main Street in Northampton was offering a Sunday special: full-course chicken dinner, 50 cents. George Walsh was the proprietor.
The Coplay P.O.S.A. Hall on Third Street had a big bingo party — 30 games for 30 cents.
And so it was in the Cement News in August 1941.
In our next column, we will remember the Cement Medical Association.