Items sought for Peaceable Kingdom
Local Girl Scout Juniors Ava Kozak and Paige Tacker, with the help of the Zephyr Key Club, are collecting food and other supplies through May 31 in support of Peaceable Kingdom animal shelter in Whitehall.
They are working to earn their Girl Scout Bronze Award, the highest honor a Girl Scout Junior can achieve. Peaceable Kingdom is a no-kill animal shelter that works to provide care, protection and assistance to animals who are mistreated, injured, abandoned or otherwise in need.
“I am really excited about this drive for Peaceable Kingdom because it will help animals that need our help, and I am confident that it will make a difference in my community for my Bronze project,” Ava, a fifth-grader, said.
Ava and Paige are running a donation drive at their school, Zephyr Elementary, and in their community.
“I am doing my Bronze project with Peaceable Kingdom because I love animals, and I like that they are a no-kill shelter,” Paige, also a fifth-grader, said.
Local sponsors, such as Pizza Hut, Pet Supplies Plus and Rita’s in Whitehall, have already committed to supporting their efforts. The Girl Scouts are calling on the community to get involved. Donations of supplies or cash can be dropped off at the school during normal business hours or collected by the Girl Scouts upon request.
The most-needed items include:
• dry food: Purina One or Pro Plan for adults, Purina One dry kitten food
• canned cat food: Friskies Turkey & Giblets Pate (needed for kittens)
• Royal Canine mother and baby cat dry food
• poop bags, leashes, harnesses and collars
• dog and cat toys and treats
• Nyla Bones & other “indestructible” toys
• Freedom No-Pull harnesses and leashes
• Martingale collars
• blankets and towels of any size
• latex gloves, trash bags, Lysol, Clorox wipes, Windex, Pledge
• printer paper, sticky notes, Sharpie markers
“I’m thrilled to be working with Paige and Ava on this project!” Hollie Matejcek, Zephyr Key Club director, said. “It is a great cause for students to be a part of and a great way to help a local organization. The girls have shown impressive leadership and initiative in presenting their fundraiser to the Key Club members. Their hard work, dedication and incredible organization will truly make this project a success.”