Altar and Rosary Society celebrates 90 years of helping others
The Altar and Rosary Society of St. Peter Roman Catholic Church, Coplay, celebrated its 90th anniversary July 15 at a special Mass, which was followed by a banquet-style breakfast in the church hall, 4 S. Fifth St.
The anniversary Mass and breakfast coincided exactly to the date the church women’s organization was founded, July 15, 1928. The church was officially established the previous year — June 16, 1927.
The morning began with the Rosary Society, as it is known, being recognized during the 8 a.m. service. The Rev. Monsignor John Martin honored the society, its past and present members and officers for their contributions over the decades and into the present for their work and deeds for the church.
They then entered the lower-level social hall, decorated tastefully for the occasion. The members were greeted by a large number of servers, dressed to impress in white shirts, black ties, black slacks and costumed handlebar mustaches.
A wall filled with photos, articles and memorabilia added a touch of nostalgia to the event. The men catered to each Rosary Society member, serving up juice, eggs, ham, potatoes, pastry, cakes and Champagne.
Emil Schanta on button box accordion and vocal soloist Suzanne Weber Rabenold brought a bit of Burgenland, Austria, to the gala celebration. Many of the Rosary Society had parents or grandparents who came to Coplay from Austria.
Rosary Society President Linda Johnson and officers Theresa Paukovits, Joan Tellup and Barbara Hobel Smith told the group gathered the society’s mission is spiritual and for the benefit of the church. The society members, 120-plus strong, are encouraged to pray the rosary daily, perform visitations to nuns, host pierogie sales as a fundraiser and support the church in various ways.