Lafarge marks 120 years with picnic, open house
LafargeHolcim Cement Company celebrated its 120th anniversary May 18 with a picnic and open house for employees, retirees and the public to enjoy.
The company has boasted continuous quality cement manufacturing at the Cementon plant in Whitehall Township since 1899.
For many decades, the plant operated under the Whitehall Cement Company name until Lafarge took the helm.
In keeping the celebration informal, the large number of people and families were treated to a picnic lunch, music, games, historic and departmental displays, plant tours, ice cream treats, surprises and gifts.
One of the oldest operating cement plants in the United States, Lafarge has more than kept pace with the changing manufacturing industry. Technology and other initiatives have earned the company a reputation as a leader in its field. The use of the rotary kiln played a big role in the plant’s various initiatives and programs outside of making cement.
Lafarge credits its employees with contributing to the plant’s diverse portfolio of 14 different types of cement. The plant currently employs 80 people.
Lafarge continues improving sustainable efforts as it is concerned about the environment. Since the installation of air pollution devices in 1990, the plant’s environmental system has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 35 percent. The company also consumes two million tires annually as an alternative fuel. The plant holds a tire collection event each year to help the community recycle the tires into a useful fuel. In fact, 30 percent of the plant’s fuel is derived from tires.
Proud of its record regarding the environment and community action, Lafarge employees partner with organizations such as the Wildlands Conservancy, Communities That Care, Whitehall-Coplay Hunger Initiative and local Boy Scout troops. The company also supports local food banks with produce from its on-site garden.