Today, I am in the new Bath Museum looking at the impact of World War II on Bath — the year, 1940.
Our economy was slowly improving. We were optimistic. We hoped the Great Depression was in the past.
In 1940, war raged in Europe; Japan threatened the peace in Asia. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941, thrust us into a world war, one we attempted to avoid. Now, our factories, farms and citizens mobilized for the war.
Coplay Public Library will be showing free movies 5-7 p.m. Mondays.
The June 3 movie is “E.T. the Extraterrestrial,” and the June 10 movie is “Star Trek” (2009).
Munchkin Music with Miss Deb returns 4-5 p.m. June 11.
The astronaut activity program is scheduled for 3-4 p.m. June 12.
Registration for the summer reading program, “A Universe of Stories: Summer Quest 2019,” begins with the Blast Off Into Summer registration party noon-2 p.m. June 15. There will be activities, events, games and much more.
• Adult coloring club event, 11 a.m., at Whitehall Township Public Library, 3700 Mechanicsville Road. Information: 610-432-4339
• Tai Chi exercise, 12:30-1:30 p.m., at Whitehall Active Community Center, 2301 Pine St., West Catasauqua. The class will continue 12:30-1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 1-2 p.m. Fridays until June 28. Information and cost: 610-437-3700
• Quilting and sewing event, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., at Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700
The borough’s annual tire drop-off will take place 10 a.m.-2 p.m. May 25 in the lower lot at Coplay Parkway, rain or shine.
There is no fee. The annual project permits six tires per household. Proof of borough residence is required.
Accepted will be tires from cars, pickup trucks, vans and SUVs. Tires from large trucks, motorcycles and bicycles will not be accepted.
Public works personnel will assist residents.
The borough office and public works department will be closed May 27 in observance of the Memorial Day holiday.
Remember all of the men and women of our armed forces who lost their lives while serving our country this Memorial Day, May 27.
Mayfair Festival of the Arts will be back this year at Cedar Crest College, 100 College Drive, Allentown.
The festival is 4-10 p.m. May 24 and noon-10 p.m. May 25 and 26.
There will be art exhibits, crafters, entertainers and delicious food for all to enjoy.
If you are looking for a fun way to spend the day, stop by and enjoy the arts.
Welcome home to all of the college students from our community.
The spring and summer music concerts have begun!
April Mae & the June Bugs will perform 7-10 p.m. May 24 at the Catasauqua Park Amphitheater, 501 American St.
Catasauqua American Legion Post 215 announces the following Memorial Day services, May 27:
• 10 a.m. — Fairview Cemetery, 2584 Lehigh St., Whitehall
• 10:15 a.m. — Pine Street Bridge
• 10:30 a.m. — North Catasauqua William J. Albert Memorial Park, 701 Grove St.
• 10:45 a.m. — St. Mary’s cemetery
• 11 a.m. — American Legion Post 215, 330 Second St., Catasauqua
Whitehall Township Public Library will be closed May 27 for the Memorial Day holiday.
Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle.
The library staff and board would like to thank those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
Have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.
The summer reading program will begin June 4 for all ages — adults and children. The theme is “A Universe of Stories.”
The 28th annual Wynnewood Estates garage/yard sale is set for 7 a.m.-3 p.m. May 25.
There will be more than 50 families participating in the sale.
Travel east on 10th Street from Main Street. Turn left onto Atlas Lane and continue to Buckingham Drive.
Harlow Hair & Beauty, 1774 Main St., will hold a cut-a-thon 11 a.m.-3 p.m. June 2 to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Stylist Jess has been giving back to Make-A-Wish for 10 years. In 2005, her 2-year-old daughter, Olivia, was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
There will be a cash picnic bingo May 26 at the West Catasauqua Park building, 2301 Pine St. Doors open 1 p.m., and bingo begins 2 p.m.
There will also be a 50/25/25 raffle and picnic basket raffle.
Refreshments will be available for sale.
All proceeds will benefit the programs for Whitehall Active Community Center.
For pricing or more information, call Chris at 610-820-0316 or Dianne at 610-799-2644.
Please note there will be no bingo held during the summer.
• Beading club meeting, 1:30 p.m., at Whitehall Township Public Library, 3700 Mechanicsville Road. Information: 610-432-4339
• Open mic and jam night, 6:30 p.m., at Whitehall Township Public Library, 3700 Mechanicsville Road. Information: 610-432-4339
• Good Vibrations Chorus practice, 9:30-11 a.m., at Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700
• Cards and games, 11:30 a.m., in the Trexler Room of Lehigh Valley Active Life, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700