· Stations 39 and 40 responded to an automobile fire on MacArthur Road northbound between Chestnut Street and Fornaciari Drive, found to be an antifreeze leak, 10:10 p.m.
· A motor vehicle accident with injuries at Pine Street and First Avenue brought out Stations 35 and 37, 5:59 a.m.
· Mutual aid to South Whitehall for a drill at Parkland High School requesting Station 36 for manpower and fire police for traffic control for a drill, 10:42 a.m....
To the Editor:
Thank you to the more than 250 residents who attended the 18th Annual Coplay Town Watch "National Night Out Against Crime" celebration Aug. 7. A large thank you goes to the more than 30 volunteers who ran the event.
The American Club of Coplay hosted the event at their beautiful pavilion. It was a great night.
Thank you to the National Association of Town Watch for their near 30 years of work helping to keep the nation safe. The CTW has been part of NATW...
Although nobody actually said the word, bamboo was the hot topic of Tuesday's Coplay Borough Council meeting.
For the past several months, resident Ann Killeen has been complaining to council about overgrown bamboo at 1102 Center St. and the fact that Councilman Bill Leiner Jr. and members of the Town Watch have been voluntarily cleaning up the overgrown, invasive plant. She said she believes the property owner should have been cited for the overgrowth instead.
Whitehall High School Principal Christopher Schiffert stands with recent graduates, from left, Chad Wagner, Annemarie Hartzell and Keri Lindenmuth inside the district office. the school district recently honored the students as additional top 10 students. Their grades had not been completed at the end of the school year when the other students were honored.
Whitehall Township Mayor Edward D. Hozza Jr. gave an update on the various road construction projects in the township, including the Route 145 safety project, at Monday's Board of Commissioners meeting.
Hozza said southbound MacArthur Road traffic is now diverted into two temporary lanes along the Lehigh Valley Hospital property, across from the township campus. Referring to the roadbeds as "the cornfield," Hozza said on Aug. 9, northbound Route 145/MacArthur Road traffic was diverted...
The recent murder in Whitehall has made national and even international news.
Na Cola Darcel Franklin, 31, allegedly stabbed to death her fiance, Billy Brewster, 36, in their Whitehall apartment Saturday just hours before they were to be married.
News outlets across the country and even overseas picked up the story.
Fox News posted the story on its website Sunday, though the story included the incorrect dateline "Hokendauqua," located in the northern end of the township...
There are currently no candidates on the ballot for municipal offices for the 2012 and 2014 elections. However, some in the community believe November's ballot will be filled with candidates seeking a seat on Coplay Borough Council.
The presidential ticket is not expected to draw large crowds to the polls like four years ago. Races are contested for U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives along with the state house and senate seats. Also, state Gov. Tom Corbett will seek re-...
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of an abandoned vehicle brought police to Reliable Auto, 967 Sumner Ave.
· Officers responded to a report of an unknown person in the 5100 block of Front Street.
· A request for vigilance brought officers to the 4100 block of Reliance Street.
· Police were called to the 400 block of Virginia Avenue to investigate a report of a verbal argument between a man...
· "Mead, from hive to bottle" presentation – 7 p.m., Lehigh County Agricultural Center, 4184 Dorney Park Road, Allentown. Speakers Marc Johnson and Sheree Krasley, owners of Stonekeep Meadery. Information: Ann Wertman at 610-298-3254 or email@example.com.
· Sacred Heart School registration – 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. for all-day kindergarten and grades 1-8. Registration will also be held Aug. 20, 21 and 22, from 9:30-1:30...